|This is Woolloomooloo Bay. |
It was settled not long after Sydney Cove in 1788. Governor Phillip, the first Governor of the colony, at first allocated the land at the head of the bay to the local tribe of aborigines, the Gadigal tribe. However, by 1792, just after Phillip returned to England, the Lieutenant-Governor, Grose,allocated 100 acres of this indigenous land to a wanna-be pastoralist, John Palmer. The cove was initially known as "Palmer's Cove", into which trickled a small stream, the Yurong Stream.
Sydney Cove had its Tank Stream.
Farm Cove had its Woccanma Gully.
Woolloomooloo Bay had its Yurong Stream.